Blood pressure of 172 over 91. Is this high blood pressure ?

Is 172 over 91 bad blood presser?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The short answer to your question is that yes this is a abnormal blood pressure which should make you concerned. At the same time we want to make sure that this was an accurate blood pressure. If it was taken on a blood pressure cuff at a doctors office to buy a trained professional this is something which I would trust and consider very carefully.

If on the other hand the blood pressure was taken at a pharmacy or by someone who is not trained in blood pressure checking then we need to basically get another reading.

Blood pressure management involves a comprehensive approach. More often than not simple lifestyle modifications can make a significant impact on blood pressure.

Also if you have a significant family history of elevated blood pressure or heart disease you should consider this very carefully. Another question you may have is whether or not this blood pressure is XXXXXXX Right now if this is a single reading I would not regard this as life-threatening or XXXXXXX However I really think you need to gather more information and get additional blood pressure readings. Overall the bottom line is that you need to discuss this with your response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert