Blood pressure normal, stress, anxiety, high pulse rate. Techniques to bring down pulse rate and stay calm?

Cardiologist
Question
Hi - My blood pressure is normal but I am experiencing a high pulse rate. One minute it is 90 and the next minute it is 140
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 12 hours later

There is too little information for me to give you a meaningful answer.

I would like to know few more details as it will help me in suggesting you better.

1. Since when are you having this problem?

2. How do you know that your heart rate is high? Do you feel the heart beats or are there any other symptoms that you experience?

3. Have you had an EKG for this symptom?

One of the common problems in people in their seventies is a condition called Atrial Fibrillation, where the patient has an irregular fast heart rate. An EKG is required to make a diagnosis and depending on that report further investigations can be planned.

Awaiting your reply with the answers to my questions.

With regards,

Dr. A. Gopi

Follow-up: Blood pressure normal, stress, anxiety, high pulse rate. Techniques to bring down pulse rate and stay calm? 14 hours later
KNOWING THAT I GENERATE MY OWN STRESS & ANXIETY, I WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW SOME CALMING REMEDIES THAT I CAN DO WHEN MY ANXIETY INTERMINTENLY GETS OUT OF CONTROL & MY PULSE GETS VERY HIGH!? I UNDERSTAND THAT MANGANESE & POTASSIUM ARE IMPORTANT FOR THIS ??

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 27 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.

I think some form of meditation or yoga may have a beneficial effect. If that does not work, you might need some counseling. I am not sure that manganese and potassium has any effect on reducing the heart rate.

With regards,

Dr. Gopi