Blood pressure is 150/104 and heart rate 70. Taking olmetec and Amlodipine. Suggest?

Hi, my husband's blood pressure is like 150/104 and heart rate 70. He is taking olmetec 40mg along with 5mg of GD-Amlodipine. What can he do to lower it, or take.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Drugs, exercise, diet and lifetyle modification

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this high blood pressure and the difficulties getting it controlled.

High blood pressure is controlled by a combination of the following methods.

1. Drugs (prescribed and adjusted by your doctor).
2. Diet low in salt and fats. Also, avoiding excess alcohol and tobacco.
3. Exercising most days of the week for at least 30minutes minimum
4. Loose excess weight if any.
All these measures associated with drugs should normally get the blood pressure controlled. When these measures are used together, you would need a fewer number of medications and dosages to get your blood pressure controlled. At times it may even help keep you off drugs.
However, drugs need to be monitored and various dosages/combinations tried to finally find what works best for any particular client.

For instance, if after trying all the above measures the blood pressure goal is not met, I would suggest increasing the dose of amlodipine to 10mg. If t still proves difficult, I may want to try a new combination of medications. This is to say there is no one dose/drug for patients but rather a continuous process of monitoring, evaluation and adjustment of medication alongside these non drug measures to get the desired goals. There are several classes of drugs to help in this process.

I hope this addresses your query. I am happy to know that you are very much concerned and supportive. This is the right thing to do so as to help him in this battle to keep his Blood pressure controlled. It is very important to prevent complications related to this.

Feel free to ask follow up questions if need be for clarifications.
I wish him well in his efforts.

Dr. Ditah, MD