Blood pressure is 137/62 and pulse is 75. Sometimes feels dizzy or lightheaded. Was anemic during childhood

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Blood pressure of 137/62 pulse 75 sometimes dizzy or lightheaded
I was anemic during child bearing years but have had no problems lately. Hgb approx 10. Occasional hot flashes, last monthly period 01/13 some problems sleeping at night
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
BP and pulse normal. Anemia & menopause to blame.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

Your blood pressure and pulse rate are fine and if you regularly have blood pressure in this range, then it is unlikely to be responsible for your dizziness.

However, I am not satisfied with your blood haemoglobin level. It should at least be above 12 gm/dl. You still have mild anemia and this could be responsible for your occasional dizziness.

Since your last monthly period was in January this year, you are in menopause and this could be another possible cause for the dizziness and occasional sleep difficulty.

The other thing is that dizziness can be caused by so many conditions. But if you have it only occasionally and even then it lasts only for a few seconds and is not severe, then I feel that you need not worry about finding causes other than anemia and menopause. So I suggest that you take steps to raise your haemoglobin levels by improving your diet and taking iron and vitamin supplements. Eating healthy, getting enough fluids, and exercising regularly also helps to reduce menopause related dizziness. If the dizziness is associated with sudden movement, then take care to avoid rising suddenly and be slow in changing postures. If dizziness worsens or is accompanied with other problems like breathlessness, chest pain, ear problems, fainting etc then you must inform your doctor.

Since you do not have significant menopause related problems, hormone replacement does not seem indicated. Just making simple changes in lifestyle can help you in fighting menopausal symptoms, and achieving a higher overall level of health. Techniques for stress reduction, such as yoga or meditation, combined with regular exercise and an improved diet, can be a great natural menopause treatment. A balanced diet will help in both menopause and anemia. Studies have shown that diets XXXXXXX in foods that promote estrogen levels (such as soy, apples, alfalfa, cherries, potatoes, rice, wheat and yams) are great menopause treatments. If needed, you can also take herbal supplements that raise estrogen levels.

Hope this allays your worries about your health. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry