Blood pressure high with medication. Reading shows 140/72, 55bpm. Should I go for medications?

Question
All week my bp was high, even with medication. I went to the er on friday with it being 185/128. After a few hours with more meds it was down to 133/100, and they released me. Taking no more meds, that evening, it went down to 88/49. Then yesterday it came up to normal 110/73. But now it is separating, 140/72, 55bpm. What does the separating mean? Do I take more bp meds or no?
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for asking.

Hypertension or high blood pressure is a chronic condition which needs regular medications even when the blood pressure is well controlled.

Most of the tablets work only for 24 hours maximum, so after that period the blood pressure starts to increase again if the person do not take the medications.

Please take your medication at a blood pressure of 140/72, so that the blood pressure remain at these levels and do not rise too much as has happened in the past.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Follow-up: Blood pressure high with medication. Reading shows 140/72, 55bpm. Should I go for medications? 6 minutes later
My question was regarding the separation. Usually both numbers are high or low. What does it mean when they go opposite directions? It has never done that. Also my kidneys have been hurting for two weeks. The tests came back normal. Is that result from bp do u think?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 9 minutes later
In most of the cases the it the systolic or the upper blood pressure is high with the normal lower or diastolic blood pressure.

It is nothing unusual in your case.

Pain in the kidney area can have multiple reasons,which needs blood tests as well as ultrasound scans to check the etiology, very hard to say whether the blood pressure is causing any damage to the kidneys without knowing the test reports.

Follow-up: Blood pressure high with medication. Reading shows 140/72, 55bpm. Should I go for medications? 22 minutes later
That's what I was saying. They did the tests and everything was normal. They have never hurt in my life and they have everyday for three weeks, so I'm at a loss.

High blood pressure do not cause kidney or abdominal pain,it can damage the kidneys if it is consistently high for a period of time but it does not cause kidney pain.

So there is some other cause for your pain, if possible please send me the reports, I will be in a better position to advise you for this pain after seeing the reports.