Blood pressure high in the morning, experiencing headaches. on norvasc medication. Causes for elevated BP ?

My blood pressure has been high most of the morning. I take Norvasc 5mg daily
Pressure is now 158/109, have headache. I'm 5'7" and 135lbs.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding your concern.

As you have indicated in your question your blood pressure is moderately elevated. It certainly does explain why you would have headaches with a blood pressure in the range would you have reported.

You are currently taking a medication which is usually effective in controlling mild hypertension. Sometimes, however, blood pressure will still rise above what a single medication can control. The medication you are currently taking can be increased to 10 mg daily. This is a strong consideration in your case in light of the fact your blood pressure is so high.

Sometimes also it maybe necessary to add a different type of blood pressure medication to the current medication in order to bring the blood pressure down using a different mechanism. This is something which is generally managed by a doctor to let him know what your blood pressure is currently reading. He may then consider changing the dose of your current medication or possibly adding a new one. I do not think you are in any grave danger at this point but this is something you should take care of as soon as possible.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert