Blood pressure, double hearing, tinnutis, numbness, computerised axial tomography, brain not normal, numbness, speech problem, bumps on tongue, strep throat, blocking the throat and feels to throw up, triptal for seizures, lack of concentration

ENT Specialist
Question
hi, my name is XXXXXXX age 23. my last blood pressure was when i checked on a pharmacy and it was just normal. i woke up today with double hearing. i hear echo with everything even when i talk.. i had a ringing like shaking (more like a noise) in my left ear since yesterday that won't go away. On august 20th (saturday) i attended a wedding with loud noise and my head was aching so bad.. also, on friday/thursday that week i started to hear a weird noise on my left ear that drives me crazy and so annoying.. i read it was tinnutis but i'm not sure. it seems like someone is behind me.. i also think i have an MS because of the symptoms that i felt before, like occasion numbness on my left side and my CT scan showed that my brain is not normal.. it is not stroke (i hope so) but the numbness went away now.. it moved to my left index finger and my left pinky... it gets numb and jerks sometimes... i also feel speech problems.. also, i have this bumps on my tongue (i think it's strep throat).. i also feel like something is blocking my throat that i want to throw up. i am not sure what is wrong with me.. please help. i have no insurance so i cannot afford to go to a doctor.. i also take trileptal for my seizures that's why i can't just take other medicines..i really appreciate your help please. please email me as soon as possible. thank you very much.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: Blood pressure, double hearing, tinnutis, numbness, computerised axial tomography, brain not normal, numbness, speech problem, bumps on tongue, strep throat, blocking the throat and feels to throw up, triptal for seizures, lack of concentration 1 hour later
if i have tinnutis.. or any other medical problem.. can i be normal again? or even close to normal? i still go to school.. and with this kind of hearing (everything ddoubled), i can't hear properly... i can't concentrate it's hard..

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query

1. Echoing of the speech could be either due to the eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) block or rupture of the eardrum or sometimes impacted cerumen in the external ear canal. And the above conditions can also produce tinnitus in the ears.

2. Weird and annoying noise in the left ear following the wedding party can be attributed to the noise induced damage to the inner ear leading to ear discomfort and tinnitus.

The above mentioned are the probable causes for your condition which requires a thorough examination by an apt ENT specialist followed by certain investigations such as examination under microscope and pure tone audiometry (to look for any damage to the inner ear).

Do not worry! Your symptoms seem to be transient and can get rid off with appropriate management.

If impacted cerumen is the cause, removal of the same can give you relief and if it is related to the eustachian tube block, nasal decongestants and steam inhalation would suffice to relieve the block.

Any damage to the inner ear requires steroids, vasodilators and vitamin B-Complex to prevent from further damage to the nerve.

With respect to the lesion in the brain which can also cause the above symptoms but it is a rare condition and a last thing to be thought of. MS is better diagnosed with a through history, clinical findings and MRI rather than CT scan alone.

Hope the answer was useful; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon