Blood pressure 40 or 50 points during walk. On Lisinopril. Advise?

Dec 2012

my blood pressure goes up 40 or 50 points when I walk in the dr. office I normally have average blood pressure appx 120/180 other times will go up if exited appx. 20 or 30 points my blood pressure very sensitive reply the doctor wants to treat the blood pressure from those numbers I had a physical everything was good found nothing else I take no prescriptions drugs wants me to go on lisinopril 5mg please advise

Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I feel you should be placed on treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

If your blood pressure goes up to those number of points each time you walk into doctor's office, then it will be best to put you permanently treatment in order to control this and complications that come with having hypertension are usually very serious and even life threatening. If the values you are provided for systolic between 120-180, the later value makes you be classified as having stage 2 hypertension which requires treatment if this value persists around that figure.
Starting with an initial single medication such as lisinopril is fine by me. After which,you doctor will have you measure BP frequently to see if treatment effective or not.

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions, please feel free to write back.
Dr. Nsah