Blood pressure 245/14. Prescribed clonodine and losartan. Should I be worried about this?

I have been taking 25 mg carvedilol BID for 4 years. Last Saturday night, my BP was at 245/140 at 3PM. I took my carvedilol then (instead of at 9PM). At 5PM it was still 225/130 so I went to the ER. They were able to get it down with 1.5 mg clonodine. Today I saw my PCP who put me on 50 mg of losartan in addition to the carvedilol. I weigh 110 pounds. Should I be worried about this?
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need investigation and follow up Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic This value of pressure is very high and needs aggressive management / and some investigations too Conditions like Pheochromocytoma cause episodic rise of pressure and rate from sudden outpouring of adrenaline /and has to be evaluated. Kidney function needs to be tested Other associated risk factors like cholesterol need attention Ambulatory monitoring of pressure may be necessary… Losartan is a good drug / in most people, a third or even a fourth drug may be necessary Follow up with a Cardiologist (Heart specialist) or Nephrologist (kidney specialist) Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless
Follow-up: Blood pressure 245/14. Prescribed clonodine and losartan. Should I be worried about this? 12 minutes later
What I'm most concerned about is the dosage related to my weight. STAT metabolic panel (including renal function) perfectly normal. Ditto cardiac enzymes, EKG, CBC. Cholesterol under control with Lipitor. Dose seem OK with you?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi The dose is OK The maximal dose is 100 mg / and it is not related to the weight Regards