Blood pooling after cycle race training, blood test shows low albumin. Can this be corrected in a week by eating extra protein?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am a cyclist preparing for a 100km race on 23rd Sept next Sunday. I had a huge amount of blood pooling after my last training ride.I have just had a blood test that has confirmed that my albumin levels are too low. Can I correct this in 1 week, by eating extra protein?
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I would be answering your question.

You have not mentioned what the albumin level is.
You have also not mentioned whether you have any symptom due to low albumin like swelling of the legs, abdomen...

There are two things to be answered -
1. Why the albumin level is too low?
2. What can be done to improve it?

Low albumin can be due to -
1. Chronic liver disease
2. A kidney diseae called nephrotic syndrome in which albumin leaks in the urine.
3. Protein losing enteropathies - condition in which protein is lost through the gut
4. Poor nutritional intake

It is difficult to normalize the low serum albumin level within a week by eating extra protein.

I would like to have some more information before I can give my final opinion.

1. What is the albumin level?
2. Do you have any symptoms like swelling of abdomen and legs?
3. Any liver or kidney disease?
4. What exactly do you mean by blood pooling and is it still present?

Kindly get back to me with the answers to the above questions.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Blood pooling after cycle race training, blood test shows low albumin. Can this be corrected in a week by eating extra protein? 1 hour later
My Dr just said low,below normal I don't have the figure. The swelling was in my legs and abdomen extra 2kg's after a training ride 60km + my muscles were also rock hard. Bruising on my one ankle. The blood tests showed no liver or kidney disease. I am worried about completing the 100km ride well on Sunday. I do not want to damage my body.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 21 hours later
Thanks for the additional information provided.

The swelling in the legs and abdomen may indicate liver disease.

Serum albumin is also part of liver function test only.

I would suggest an ultrasound scan of abdomen and analysis of the fluid from the abdomen be done for further evaluation.

It is difficult to normalize the serum albumin level within a week with diet alone.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept the answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini