Blood on tissue after bowel movement, cut on inner buttock cheek. Normal or cause of concern?

I have just noticed a little blood when wiping after pooping. I feel like it might be a cut on my inner buttcheek. Is that normal?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 32 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and reassurance regarding what is going on.

A tiny amount of bleeding after a bowel movement is not uncommon. The most likely explanation for this is a very small hemorrhoid. A hemorrhoid is a swollen blood vessel which sometimes can become inflamed with straining with bowel movements. When the hemorrhoid becomes inflamed it can sometimes bleed a tiny bit with subsequent bowel movements.

For you, I would recommend a couple of things in order to help this hemorrhoid slowly resolve. One thing I would recommend would be to take a warm bath (Seitz bath) twice per day for the next couple of days. The warm water will help shrink the tissue which is swollen. In addition you might purchase some over-the-counter ointment which you can apply to the anal region after each bowel movement for the next couple of days. One that I particularly recommend is Preparation H cooling gel.

A hemorrhoid may create a couple of different sensations. The most common sensations include itching in the anal region as well as a mild degree of pain with bowel movements. Most hemorrhoids will gradually resolve with time. If you continue the supportive measures which I have recommended I am confident that your symptoms will completely resolved within the next couple of weeks.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.