Blood loss,abortion pills,iron tablets.Diet?

My wife is 36 years old and had a blood loss very recently on account of abortion pills...hb count is 6.3. Doctor has prescribed iron tablets one/ twice daily. With this and diet how much time will it taken to come to normal levels .and is this life threatening. She is on bed rest
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 30 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query,

Your wife obviously lost quite a bit of blood and at 6.3 that represents roughly a 50% decline in her total hemoglobin. With that being said, if she is otherwise healthy, there is no need to worry and this will not be life threatening.

I am not sure I agree with bed rest at this point unless for some reason she has horrible pain. It is important that she stay physically active - in a gradual degree as she recovers.

With the iron pills - she will take these twice or three times per day for the time being with a good well balanced diet her hemoglobin will recover back close to normal in roughly two to three weeks. It could possibly occur sooner - just depends how well her bone marrow responds.

I expect that symptoms of fatugue and tiredness as well as leg cramps if there are some of those as well - will decrease within the next 7 days as well.

I am very optimistic that she will make a full recovery with no limitation of future quality or quantity of life.

i thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you found my answer to be both helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga