Blood line in stool. Is it due to hemorrhoids? Had anoscopy.

I recently have been to the Hospital to have an Anoscopy. The consultant told me that I had Hemmorroids, which is fine as I can deal with that.

What i did notice today was a long thin red blood line on my stool? The stool itself looks a cupboard colour which tells me that it is healthy, however as I have never seen this red line before I thought I would ask. Is this red line is my likley caused by Hemmorroids or something else?

Kind regards

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 44 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     42 year old male
•     Known case of Hemorrhoids
•     Complaints of: Red blood line in normal colour stool.

Hemorrhoids are masses or clumps (cushions) of tissue within the anal canal that contain blood vessels and the surrounding, supporting tissue made up of muscle and elastic fibers.

Although most people think hemorrhoids are abnormal, they are present in everyone. It is only when the hemorrhoidal cushions enlarge that hemorrhoids can cause problems and be considered abnormal or a disease.

For convenience in describing the severity of hemorrhoids, many physicians use a grading system:
•     First-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that bleed but do not prolapse.
•     Second-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that prolapse and retract on their own (with or without bleeding).
•     Third-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that prolapse but must be pushed back in by a finger.
•     Fourth-degree hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids that prolapse and cannot be pushed back in.

As haemorrhoids lies in the end part of anal canal so bleeding from them appear as fresh blood line in stool. As the site of bleeding goes further upward in intestine, blood tend to mix homogeneously in stool and tend to become black. So in your case bleeding is most likely from hemorrhoids.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Blood line in stool. Is it due to hemorrhoids? Had anoscopy. 56 minutes later
What do you think of Venapro? I have seen on-line that this product is very good. What is your opinion?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
Hello again,

It is good but your current physician is best person to decide regarding as he examined you personally.