Blood in vagina after rubbing, no pain or irritation, finished periods. Is this abnormal and when will bleeding stop?

Question
hello doc, we are a recently married couple. We have never had sexual intercourse before. My wife had her monthly menstural period. The day after her period got over, i touched her vagina with my fingers and rubbed it. She did not have any pain. But for the past 6 days after that she is seeing slight blood in her vagina when she touches it. It was light orange and now its red as usual that comes during periods. There is no pain or irritation though. We want to know if everything is ok, whether this is abnormal and if she would get her monthly periods on time or not? When will this bleeding stop? Please advice.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later

Vaginal discharge may be of many types. Orange discharge / brown discharge can be present sometimes after periods. Based on your description, my first consideration is that it could be some old remnant blood from the uterus. Sometimes the spotting may continue for a few days after periods.

Sometimes, if there is pain, itching, discomfort, smell, etc associated with the discharge then infection is a possibility.

Trauma is my third consideration. This needs to be considered and addressed especially in those women who are inexperienced. Please also keep in mind that when the hymen breaks, there may be some bleeding too. That doesn’t need any intervention.

I would suggest you to wait and watch for a few days. It should gradually stop in 2-3 days time. If it doesn’t stop then drugs like Tranexamic acid can be tried under guidance of your doctor.

In the mean time if she develops any other symptoms such as pain, itching, discharge and so on, antibiotic therapy is entailed.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any additional queries, I will be available to address them.

Follow-up: Blood in vagina after rubbing, no pain or irritation, finished periods. Is this abnormal and when will bleeding stop? 3 hours later
Hello doctor. Thanks for the response. So she should get her regular periods on time right? There would be no problems right?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 55 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

If there was intercourse directly after the period ended its not likely that she would get pregnant. This should not affect her cycles.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Blood in vagina after rubbing, no pain or irritation, finished periods. Is this abnormal and when will bleeding stop? 19 hours later
Doctor
My wife is getting more frequent bleedin very small amount,its red in colour like the way it comes during period but the amount is very less she doent need to use pads. so we want to know if she vil get her regular periods even if this bleeding continues for some more days.
we have not had sexual intercourse even once.I have just rubbrd her vagina once.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 minutes later
Thanks for reverting.
Even though there may be a delay of a few days in her periods, they should be regular as such. If you haven't had sexual intercourse, then pregnancy isn't an issue that we need to be worried about here. I would suggest that she consult her gynaecologist who can evaluate her and start therapy like tranexamic acid as I had mentioned earlier. The spotting should stop with this therapy.
If her periods become irregular in the future, she would need to be investigated further.
I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Blood in vagina after rubbing, no pain or irritation, finished periods. Is this abnormal and when will bleeding stop? 2 days later
Hi,doctor i checked with my gynaecologist they said that she has not got any hormon problems,but there might be a calcium deficiency for my wife.The doctor precribed her some tablets (GYNAE-C.V.P)( TRAPIC MF)She gave a iron tablets to(RARICAP HAEMATINIC TABLETS)
please say that these are the right tablets for her.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Trapic (tranexamic acid) is the name of the medicine that I had suggested in the earlier mail. Along with that, your doctor has given her calcium and iron tabs, which is ok.

No harm in taking iron tabs since a woman always has a tendency for anemia.

It’s fine to take these tablets.