Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood in urine, passing clots, slight pain. Can I just wait to see if this occurs more?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Last night my urine contained a fairly large stream of bright red blood. Today at work I passed a rustish color blood clot, about the size of pinky nail on a man. I passed a smaller clot once several years ago and after all the tests the doctors thought it was just due to some exercise I was doing. I hate to go and be told the same thing, I have no real pain like when I had a kidney stone last year. Can I just wait to see if this occurs more?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A single episode of reddish urine could be due to excessive exercise causing muscle breakdown. Passing of clots is not associated with rhabdomyolysis.
Vigorous exercise can cause a bit of irritation of the urethra. This can cause a change in the color of the urine. I would probably consider this to be the most likely cause in your case.

As far as recommendations for you I would recommend that you continue to be observant of the color and passage of clots in your urine. As long as it continues to improve and look normal in your opinion I think no additional follow-up is needed. If otherwise you do experience a change in symptoms or any more redness of the urine I think you should see your good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.