Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood in urine, fever, dizziness, headache, night sweats. Had taken anti malaria pills

Peeing blood, with no pain, smells strong like garlic, feel feverish with dizzines and headaches. I do not know if this is related but I have been having night sweats the last few months since returning from an Africa trip. When I wake up my sheet are soaked and the smell is very sour and strong. I was taking anti malaria pills during the trip.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Based on your description, I can think of three possibilities. These include:

1)     Urinary tract infection: UTI can present with blood in urine, fever, dizziness and night sweats. Since you have a history of recurring UTI, hence it should be ruled out. You should get a urine examination and a urine culture to rule it out.

2)     Kidney infections should be ruled out which can also present with these symptoms. Get your kidney function tests and ultrasound kidneys done.

3)     Third possibility is of malaria especially algid malaria. Even if you were taking antimalarial pills, you should get a peripheral blood film examination done.

I suggest you to consult a competent physician at the earliest to stream line the tests and narrow down the possibilities.

In the mean time drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.