Blood in stools, eating cherry Italian ices, pops and drinking fruit punch. No pain or fever. Should I be concerned?

Yesterday my 10 yr old son pooped bright red. Even the paper was bright red after wiping the 1st few times. My husband is overly concernered but i think its because he has been eating tons of cherry italian ices, pops & drinking fruit punch the last few days. Should i be concrened or cut the red foods & see how it goes the next couple of bowel movements. He has no pain fever or other symptoms.
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Although there can be various reasons for bright red stool in a 10 year old child like anal fissures,intestinal infections,irritable bowel disease,Lower intestinal tract bleeding,ulcerative colitis etc but these should be looked after watching your child for few days more and seeing his bowel movements.
Fruit punches and excessive cherries may give a false impression of bleeding.
If bleeding persists then a visit to a pediatrician becomes must.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.