Blood in stools, bowel movements, no soreness. Should I take preparation H or go to the emergency room?

I just recently had a bowel movement and noticed blood on the tissue and of course my stool was bloody, now I'm sore and it's uncomfortable to sit. Should I go to the emergency room or do you think it's something that preparation H can help with? I'm freaking out, this has never happened before...
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 25 minutes later

The symptoms reported by you as blood in stool suggests possibility of vascular deformities like hemorrhoids, rectal prolapse or inflammatory bowel disease like Crohn’s disease.

As hemorrhoids lies in the end part of anal canal, bleeding from them appear as fresh blood line in stool. As the site of bleeding goes further upward in intestine, blood tend to mix homogeneously in stool and tend to become black. So, in your case bleeding is most likely from hemorrhoids.

It is not an emergency but does require evaluation and lifestyle modification can help. Some suggestions:

1. Take Sitz bath (fill tub with hot water as much as you can tolerate, add some potassium permanganate crystals in it and sit with buttocks down in it for 5 to 10 minutes at least two times a day).

2. Increase fiber intake as constipation and hard stools can aggravate the condition.

3. You should drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.

4. for the time being, you can use Preparation H but remember it’s not a cure but for symptomatic relief.

If your condition does not improve then I suggest you to get a per-rectal examination and investigations like colonoscopy. You need to consult a Surgeon for the physical examination.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.