Blood in stools. Had flu with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Am diabetic type 1. Need help.

I'm 46 years old, 154 lbs. and 5'7". I have been type 1 diabetic for 34 years.
I got the flu with nausea, vomiting and severe diarrehea.
I've finally started to feel better but couple times in last couple weeks, have noticed some blood in my stools. I've had the flu for two weeks now, which has been going around. Starting to freak out!!
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Passage of mild amount of blood is common after a long standing viral infection like flu. This causes mild inflammation of the gut wall which results in such symptoms. In most of the cases, this is self limiting and subsides spontaneously after the viral infection subsides.

Till then avoid having hot and spicy food to avoid further gut inflammation. The BRAT diet (i.e, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can be taken.

Taking mild Tab.Ibuprofen twice daily or sulfasalazine might help to improve your symptoms.

You can get the necessary drugs prescribed from your physician in the required doses. Kindly don't worry as there is nothing serious considering the history.

See to it that you take your medications as directed by your Doctor and go for regular follow up.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.