Blood in sputum, cough. Have smoking addiction. Taking doxoril. Lung cancer?

small hair and a red spot came in my sputum twice. only in the morning it happens after that the sputum comes but normal. I have been smoking for 10 years. I was taking doxoril for past 15 days for ease in cough and that helped my coughing a lot. I just need to know that if this could be cancer. the small blood spot in my sputum came yestaerday and today only.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I realize that your symptoms have got you worried if its lung cancer.

Blood in the sputum on 2 occasions, is certainly a cause of concern for your background history of smoking. Smoking a pack of cigarettes over years is proven to cause cancer, the risk increases as the duration does.

Doxoril for your cough, might have worked, but you should have realized that smoker's cough needs a lot of tests apart from just symptomatic therapy as you did.

I advise you now for the following:
1. Consult a chest physician for a check up.
2. Blood tests, Chest X XXXXXXX - PA and lateral views.
3. Sputum tests.
4. Possible lung biopsy might be needed in case the doctor asks for it. The pathological diagnosis needs this test to confirm the type of cancer in the possibility that it is.
5. Report any loss of weight over the years, loss of appetite, any other medical history.
6. Plan to quit smoking. It is needed now.
Discuss smoking cessation therapy with the same doctor if you think you cannot quit yourself.
7. Build up good immunity and take care of your health. Includes diet, exercise etc.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.