Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood in semen and have an enlarged prostate. Taking warfarin. Is medication the cause?

Nephrologist
Question
i M 75 and i have blood in my semen i have an enlarged prostate and take warfarin (7mg daily) could this be a cause? thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 26 minutes later
Hello.

I would like to know more about your present condition in order to suggest you better.

1. When did you notice blood in your semen? Was it blood stained or XXXXXXX blood? Is this the first time you have noticed blood in your semen?
2. Do you notice blood while urinating? Blood in stools? Easy bruising?
3. When was the last time you tested your INR (International Normalized Ratio)? and what were the reports? Was the Warfarin dose adjusted on your last visit?

Please get back to me with the answers to these questions, I am awaiting your reply.

Regards.

Follow-up: Blood in semen and have an enlarged prostate. Taking warfarin. Is medication the cause? 4 hours later
HELLO DOCTOR IT WAS DARK SPERM ( LOOKS STAINED BY BLOOD) NONE WHEN URINATING 4 WEEKS AGO INR 2,5 NO ALTERATION IN WARFARIN

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for replying

Considering your profile and history I think the most probable reason for the blood stained semen is prostatis. It in basically inflammation of the prostate gland. It is common in people above the age of 60 with enlarged prostate gland.

The ideal thing to do is to XXXXXXX a urologist, he would examine you and probably ask for an ultra sound pelvis.

Since your INR is well within expected limits the blood stained semen is unlikely because of warfarin

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you a speedy recovery