Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood in semen. Cause?

I had blood in my semen for the first time and I am 84. What gives?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the question.

This is a very good question.

It's not uncommon to have an occurrence of blood in the semen. This would become more of a concern of you notice this on multiple successive occasions. Sometimes if there is irritation of the urethra this could cause a bit of bleeding which could be noticed in semen.

I would observe things for the time being. Abstain from sexual activity for the next 2-3 days to allow for healing of any irritated areas.

If you notice additional episodes of blood in the semen this is something you should bring to the attention of your primary physician who may ultimately refer you to a urologist.

Thanks again for sending the query. Please let me know if I may be of any additional assistance.

Dr Galamaga