Blood in saliva, noticed while using water pic to clean teeth, ear congestion, drainage behind throat. Cause of concern ?

I just noticed that I have some blood in my saliva. I noticed it this morning as I was using a water pic to clean my teeth. This evening I noticed it again. My ears are stuffed up and it feels like it coming from the drainage in the back of my throat. It clears up after spit a couple of times. Should I be worried?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 43 minutes later

The concern you are facing would just be due to harsh brushing and tongue cleaning.

I suggest you to use soft tooth brush and good tongue cleaner.

Also take care that you do not brush your gums which happens accidentally many times and presents as bleeding.

It is not of concern if the bleeding is mild.

If the bleeding is more and persistent then you need to consult a physician for examination and investigations like bleeding time, clotting time and to check for any vitamin deficiencies particularly Vitamin-C.

Bleeding would also occur from gums spontaneously in cases of Vitamin- C deficiency from gums.

I suggest you to take foods XXXXXXX in Vitamin-c like orange, lemon and goose berry.

Also quit smoking and drinking and adopt healthy life style like regular exercise and drink plenty of water and supplement your food with more fruits and vegetables and avoid fats and oily foods.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.