Blood in right ear, noticed while putting in a cotton swab. Causes and treatment?

Oncologist
Question
i have a little blood in my right ear-i put a cotton swab in and noticed the red
XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

This is very likely not something that you need to worry very much about. The main thing right now is to allow your body to heal so I would not recommend you use any more cotton tips in the ear or any topical preparations for the next 10 days.

What likely occured was a small area of inflammation in the ear canal which was irritated by the cotton tip causing a small amount of oozing of blood.

It is also important to pay attention to your hearing. If you are experiencing any hearing changes at all this is something you should discuss with your doctor. I don't suspect you have any issues with hearing based on your question.

For now maintain good health with a good well-balanced diet, plenty of fluid hydration and adequate rest to support your immune system as your body heals.

Again I suspect this will take about 10 days to fully resolve.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and reassuring. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Galamaga

Follow-up: Blood in right ear, noticed while putting in a cotton swab. Causes and treatment? 2 hours later
i have some prescription ear drops-neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and hydrocortisone otic-from a previous ear infection.

should i use them or no-

also-when i shower-should i keep water out of the ear or use the water to clean the ear?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 31 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

I would hold off on using the drops unless you have pain or obvious signs of an infection. Another sign of infection would be pain when you tug on your earlobe. If you have that type of pain then you can se the drops. Otherwise there is no benefit.

Regarding showering no need to protect your ear or avoid water getting inside. Also no need to flush the ear with water as well I would recommend that after the shower you put your finger in the towel and then just press it up against the outside of the ear so it can wick away any excess moisture. Any remaining water will evaporate within a few hours from the ear canal.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found this to be an informative experience. I am here for you if you have any additonal concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga