Blood in back of throat, no pain. Allergy or sinus infection?

I noticed red bright blood from a back of my pain.I don't know if this is allergy related or could be a sinus infection.I also feel like a dry throat on the same spot(all the way down on the bottom)
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

At the back of the throat we can see the pharynx and the tonsils.
The pharynx is the part of the throat immediately below the mouth and the nasal cavity.
Blood at the back of the throat may be related to another of factors such as (1) infections of the upper respiratory tract including the pharynx but this would usually be associated with other cold symptoms such as nasal congestion, runny nose. There are other rare infections that can also cause bleeding such as diptheria which is a bacterial infection but this is is associated with sore throat and you indicated that you were not feeling any pain

(2) Allergies such allergic rhinitis or allergic sinusitis can also cause bleeding particularly if they are severe or longstanding. There would usually be other signs or symptoms of the allergies and unlikely to occur on its own

(3)exposure to corrosive substances like in gastroesophageal reflux disease can also result in the presence of blood in the throat, particularly if the reflux is severe, untreated or unresponsive to treatment or if it is longterm problem

(4)because the passages are connected,some persons may have a nose bleed and the blood flows backwards towards the throat

(5)tumors can also result in bleeding- cancer of the nasal cavity, pharynx, tonsils. The risk factors associated with these illnesses are smoking, excess alcohol use,poor dental hygiene, HPV virus.
In most persons other symptoms would also be present such as difficulty swallowing or speaking, ear pain, weight loss, headaches,voice changes

(6) trauma to the throat or nasal cavity

In the absence of any symptoms pointing to a viral illness (cold) or allergies, it may be best to see a doctor to rule out any serious causes for the bleeding. In most persons it usually occurs as result of a benign problem but it is better to be examined to be sure.
After taking your history and conducting an ear, nose and throat examination , your doctor may simply decide to treat if the cause is simple or may request futher tests.

I hope this information is helpful, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Blood in back of throat, no pain. Allergy or sinus infection? 50 minutes later
I didn notice a hi amount of blood blowing my nose,folow a slight headache.Maybe a bad sinus infection...I don't know, I'm still confused
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
If you are having symptoms such as nasal congestion and headache due to a viral infection or allergies then either of these can cause the blood in the pharynx.You can monitor it to see if it stops when the cold or the allergies resolve.
With additional symptoms such as nasal congestion implying a virus or allergies , it is unlikely to be anything serious.

I hope it this helps