Blood hcg test not pregnant, sore breast, bleeding, back pain. Miscarriage?

Question
On July 5th I took a blood hcg test. I just found out it came out as a 1, which they said meant I was not pregnant. I had most of the signs I had with my first pregnancy ( sore breasts, bumps around the areola, etc). The next day I started to bleed. It was very light and only lasted 4 days. Then this month I was supposed to start last Wednesday. I didn't. I took a test on Friday and it came back positive. When I called my dr office, the nurse said they knew there was a chance I was pregnant even after the hcg reading of 1. Now I don't know if I'm 4 weeks or 8 weeks along. My next dr appt isn't for 2.5 weeks. Suddenly today, I have had back pain, it hurts my lower abdominal area when I move or carry my son, and the only symptom I had ( tender breats)have. Suddenly stopped. Could this be a miscarriage? Should I call the doctor or be seen by one tonight?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Regarding the duration of your pregnancy it can only be determined by doing an ultrasound scan. The pain in the lower back and in the lower abdomen with recession of symptoms of pregnancy is not a good sign.
Please consult your Gynaecologist for proper examination and to discuss the necessary investigations to undergo and treatment options as early as possible .
Early diagnosis can prevent a threatened abortion. The time lost now in diagnosis can never be regained.
You can also do a repeat urine pregnancy test at home to check if the two lines are equally dark.
Still an ultrasound is mandatory to rule out the ectopic pregnancy.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.