Blood group O+ve. Father A+ve and mother B+ve. Inherited the recessive gene? Risk for developing automosal recessive inherited disorders?

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
hi how are you?

My blood type is O+ but my mother's blood type is B+ and my father is A+. which means that they're BO+ and AO+ and that I've inherited the recessive gene from them which is rare but possible. Does this put me at risk for developing automosal recessive inherited disorders? if yes what are they? thanks bye
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very interesting question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

You are absolutely correct in reviewing the mechanism by which you inherited the O blood type. If your parents are AO and BO there is a 25 percent chance a child will inherit the O type which occurred in your case.

This blood type does not carry any elevated risk of autosomal recessive disorders. There have been no studies published in the literature to support anything like this.
Rest assured that this is the case for you.

Thank you again for sending your question. If you have any additional specific concerns that you would like to discuss I would be happy to review those with you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Blood group O+ve. Father A+ve and mother B+ve. Inherited the recessive gene? Risk for developing automosal recessive inherited disorders? 4 hours later
I went through subacute thyroiditis 2 years ago but my thyroid has been stable since then. my family doctor used to think that it would get hypoactive in the future but since it's been 2 years that it's been stable he doesn't think so. but I've heard that being a woman in my reproductive age (am 29) and having an O+ blood type increases my chances of developing hashimoto's disease which is also a form of hypothyroidism. since my thyroid has been stable for the past 2 years do you believe that i'm still at risk for hashimoto's disease? once again thanks.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Hello again,

This has been suggested that type O individuals may have a higher occurrence of thyroid dysfunction or disorders. The fact that your thyroid has been stable for 2 years predicts but does not guarantee that you will continue to do well without additional thyroid issues.

The good thing is that your thyroid function is relatively easy to follow. This is something your primary care physician can assess on a periodic basis such as every six to 12 months. As far as risk for hashimotos, I feel this is nearly impossible to predict. Continued adequate followup with clinical exam and laboratory evaluation will assure that if this does come back it can be assessed and treated quickly to minimize any problem for you.

Thanks again for the query.

Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga

Follow-up: Blood group O+ve. Father A+ve and mother B+ve. Inherited the recessive gene? Risk for developing automosal recessive inherited disorders? 2 hours later
so you're saying that because my thyroid has been stable for 2 years now (as I said I had subacute thyroiditis 2 years ago) does predict that I'll continue to do well without additional thyroid issues including hashimoto's disease? thanks bye

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Yes this does predict that you will do well although there is no guarantee. This is why continued monitoring in laboratory testing would be required.

Thank you again for sending your question. I wish you all the best and continued excellent health.

Dr Galamaga