Blood from nose while sleeping. What might be the issue?

My sons age is nearing 4 years. since May to today, i saw 3 times, the blood coming from nose of my son while in sleep. What might be the issue? Please suggest.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need evaluation if more episode recur...

Detailed Answer:

The most common reason for nasal bleed in children is due to nose picking. If your son has habit of picking his nose, this can induce trauma resulting in bleeding. The next close reason would be nasal inflammation - which can be evident if he had nasal congestion (cold), running nose and other upper respiratory symptom.

The less likely reason could be due to systemic illness such as high blood pressure or bleeding disorders.

I would encourage you to consult an ENT surgeon once if nasal bleeding recurs again. Talk and discourage your child from picking nose.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.