Blood-filled pimple in pubic area, recurring episodes. What is this?

I have what seems to be a large blood filled pimple in my pubic area. Every time I pop it, all that comes out is blood. I thought that it would heal after I popped it but it keeps filling up with blood in the exact same spot. I must have popped it at least 5 times within the last three weeks to relieve the pressure from the blood buildup. One time, it even popped by itself during the day in my underwear. What is this? Should I go see a doctor or is there a home remedy that I can use to make it go away?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 1 hour later

I have gone through your picture attached. From what you mention, there is a possibility that the lesion is a Folliculitis in your pubic area. Folliculitis is inflammation of one or more hair follicles. This occurs due to infection of the hair follicles by bacteria called Staphylococcus bacteria. It might be precipitated by rubbing from clothing, blockage of the follicle, or shaving.

It is very important not to touch or burst the eruption you have. Everytime you do it, you are actually inoculating more bacteria from and into the surrounding area. Pubic region is an area more prone to contamination and infection.

For the treatment, you will need to visit a dermatologist who will prescribe appropriate oral antibiotics to eradicate the infection. A culture from a swab, taken from the swelling might also be required.

At home, can clean the area with normal saline and do a few warm moist compresses to reduce inflammatory swelling/pain. You can apply a topical antibiotic cream like Fusidic acid or Mupirocin 2-3 time daily .You may have oral anti inflammatory medication to reduce pain/swelling in the region. However, oral antibiotic most probably will be required to complete infection control.

This might be recurrent in some people. To prevent further infection:
1) Reduce friction from clothing by wearing loose fitted clothes.
2) Avoid shaving the area. If shaving is necessary, use a clean new razor blade each time.
3) Keep the area clean by changing undergarment at least twice daily.

Hope this is helpful to you. I will be happy to answer any follow up questions you have.

Wishing you speedy recovery,