Blood filled lump on wrist. Should I be concerned?

General Surgeon
I have a blood filled lump on my upper wrist
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Are you able to attach a picture of this lump?

If this lump is quite large (like a fingertip) and is localized nearby the joint, most likely it is a ganglion. It is some kind of herniation between the joint and the soft tissues what allows joint jelly like substance to come out. Sometimes it can be filled with blood when present long enough.
Other possible reasons of such lump are sebaceus cyst (if it is hard and painful), some kind of allergic blister or even varicose vein (should be soft and easy to press).
I will give more specific description if I can see it on the picture.

Most of this lumps can be diagnosed with an ultrasound and treated with small incision.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.