Blood during BM, past ovulation, trying to get pregnant. What could be causing this?

I am 16 days past ovulation and noticed a small amount of blood on the toilet tissue during a bowel movement. I went to the bathroom a little bit later and while there was no blood on the toilet paper, there were two small, thin "clots" in the toilet. What could be causing this? My husband and I are trying to get pregnant but I have been too nervous to take a pregnancy test.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
At 16 days XXXXXXX ovulation if your normal period has not yet started then the small spotting and clots you saw could be due to implantation bleeding.
The chances of you being pregnant are there.
You need to test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test kit. Also I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Blood during BM, past ovulation, trying to get pregnant. What could be causing this? 24 hours later
I was incorrect. When I wrote you, I thought I was 16 DPO but was actually 15 DPO. Today, I am 16DPO and I have been having a very heavy flow (going through a maximum strength tampon in a 2 hours) including clotting. I am confused. I thought that menstruation begin 14 days starting from ovulation which it had for the last few months. In July, my ovulation started on July 20 (the 16th day of my cycle) not the 18th day as it has been for the last 2 cycles (I use an ovulation predictor kit). Because of the 14 day rule, my period was supposed to start on August 2. Instead, it started today. With this amount of blood, I doubt I could be pregnant even though I really thought I was. What could account for the 2 day shifts in my ovulation and my menstruation? FYI. I am not on any fertility assistance.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Usually periods start 14 days after ovulation but some physiological variations and hormonal level changes or sometimes a chemical pregnancy can cause a delay in the periods and a heavy flow.
Next time if your period is late by more than 14 days post ovulation, you can get your serum beta HCG levels evaluated to rule out a chemical pregnancy.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.