Blood draining in limbs when laying down, tingling, painful. Doing physical work. Should I go to the ER?

ENT Specialist
my arms and hands feel like they are draining of blood when i lay down to sleep. even when i lay on my back with my arms to the side, they begin to get tingly and painful. so much so that it hurts, very bad. i have to stand up in the middle of the night and shake my arms around to get the blood flowing.

i have been doing a *lot* of work in the yard, shoveling dirt, moving big things. i'm also about a week away from my period. other than that, i can't imagine what it is.
its been an hour since i woke up and my arms are still tingly.....its rather uncomfortable, bordering on painful....should i go to the er?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Well, I would like to tell that what you are feeling in your arms and hands as they are draining of blood along with tingling sensation is not a normal sensation. This abnormal sensation can occur anywhere in your body like in fingers, arms and hands, feet or legs.

There may be multiple causes for tingling and numbness (arms draining out of blood) in arms and hands, such as -

1. Vascular problems causing reduced blood the peripheries
2. Keeping your arms in the same position for quite long time (pressure symptom)
3. Old neck injuries if any; it may cause you to feel tingle and numb in your arm or hand
4. Pressure on the nerves of the spine
5. Arthritis of the spine
6. Pressure on peripheral nerves from enlarged blood vessels or infection locally
7. Abnormal levels of electrolytes; calcium, potassium or sodium in your body
8. Vitamins deficiency mainly vitamin B12
9. Use of certain medications
10. Animal bites

Considering your case, I feel that you might be having this tingling and numbness due to pressure on nerves of your spine that are causing decreased blood flow to your arms and hands along with vitamin deficiency.

Proper examination along with certain blood tests is required to find the culprit. You may try some stretching exercise and if the pain continues to trouble you, do visit the ER for management and cure of the problem.

Don't worry everything will be alright.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any further queries, I will be available to help you.