Blood donation, HBsAg positive, confirmation test negative, hepatitis infection ?

I am a 52 year old woman and I donated blood back in April to a blood center and I just got my results back from the center. The screening test for hepatitis(HBsAg) was positive, and the Confirmation test(HBsAg Neutralization) was negative. What does this mean do I have hepatitis or what and what should I do
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

I can appreciate why these test results may have caused you a significant degree of concern. While we have good methods of testing these days. Our testing is not 100% accurate. Occasionally there can be a false positive result. This is the case sometimes with hepatitis testing. I would suggest that you have some repeat testing performed. In the repeat testing. I would be sure to request nucleic acid testing regarding the Vaccination would not necessarily give you positive test results for the antigen which you have reported here. I again would suggest that you obtain a repeat set of testing. This will allow you to confirm the result as either positive or negative.

Finally it would help us also determined the probability of a positive result if you had any risk factors for this. If you by chance have any exposure to blood or needles or something along those lines then we would be more suspicious of this as the hepatitis virus is generally spread through contact with bodily fluids including blood.

Thank you again for your query. I hope my response has been adequate and informative. If you have additional questions. I am certainly available to address them.