Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood comes out with urine while masturbating. Is it an infection or some serious issues?

Question

I have a very close personal friend who is still young... around 18-19 ... and is having some problems he has noticed. He told me that since he started masturbating, he had a little blood at times come out with his urine. Now, however, since he's gotten older the blood is more frequent and it is painful. Also, he says that it doesn't only happen after masturbation anymore but that it worsens directly after. He said that the blood is not noticeable in the stream but when he wipes, there are spots of blood. Is this an infection of some nature or are there more serious issues it could be related to?

I am including his personal medical history in this.
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 37 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
What you are describing is called terminal hematuria, or bleeding at the end of the urinary stream. Antibiotics are appropriate if the bleeding and burning are caused by a urinary tract infection.
Some urinary infections, including bladder infections, prostate infections, and urethritis (inflammation of the urethra, the tube in the penis that leads from the bladder to the outside), can lead to blood in the urine or at the tip of the urethra.
I advice you to see physician foe examination and also for course of antibiotic.
Appropriate use of cultures to guide antibiotic therapy is the best way to completely eradicate a urinary tract infection. If in fact you did not have a documented culture-positive infection, then other causes of hematuria need to be investigated.
Other causes include a kidney stone that passed down into the bladder or urethra and a vascular (blood vessel) malformation. These potential sources of blood should be investigated. The most common cause of bleeding in the urinary tract in men is enlargement of the prostate.
This can only be confirmed after examination and investigation. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.