Blood clots during menstruation after childbirth. Is it normal?

Question
i had my period on the 20th. on the 4th day i was still seeing blood. On the 5th day i passed a clot ,and today on the 7th day. as well after going to bathroom. I recently had a baby 4 months ago. also have a anal fisher which seemed to have healed.
Is that normal with my period. So is it normal to pass clot after you have stopped bleeding.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.

You have recently delivered a baby and you are passing clots on the 5th to 7th day during your menstruation.

Do not worry. The menstruation cycle can be affected by fluctuations in the hormones progesterone and estrogen. These hormones control how the body sheds the lining of the uterus.

When these hormones get out of balance, the wall of the uterus can become very thick. Once this occurs, you may experience a heavier flow, and more menstrual blood clots.

If a woman can maintain a normal blood count without developing anemia, and the clotting does not last more than the length of her normal period, it is usually considered within acceptable limits.

Certain uterine conditions like Fibroids, Adenomyosis, Polyps, any obstruction in the outflow can cause this.

If the clots are larger in size than a quarter, then it is considered abnormal.

If you feel it is larger and the flow gets severe, then you will need to get examined by a Gynecologist.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Blood clots during menstruation after childbirth. Is it normal? 58 minutes later
However my period stopped on the 5 th day I just saw one clot after going to bathroom so is that normal

Answered by Dr. Radhika 7 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

If clots are seen one to two days after the periods are over, it is normal. However, if you keep passing clots persistently for many days, then you will need to get yourself examined by your gynaecologist/obstetrician.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.