Blood clot in leg, pulmonary embolism, swollen elbow, discoloration spreading, painful when touched

I had a blood clot 5 years ago that started in my leg and progressed to pulmonary embolism. I now have a swollen elbow with tenderness and purple/blue/red/yellow 5 inch discoloration that is spreading. It is somewhat painful when I touch it. I saw one Dr. at work (I am a dietician) who thought I have a blood clot, but when I went to the ER a young Dr said that he did not think I have a blood clot. No actual tests were done. What should I do? I almost died from the blood clot 5 years ago, and I want to make sure that I'm not having another clot.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later

A swollen elbow with tenderness and the discoloration from red to purple is indicative of two things-
1.An injury to elbow causing a fracture at some bone in the elbow joint causing the haematoma. An X-ray of the joint followed by careful examination by an orthopaedician will help in diagnosis and treatment.
2. If you distinctly remember that there is no trauma involved then the bleeding might have occurred due to some bleeding disorder. Checking the bleeding and coagulation profile will help in reaching the diagnosis.
Till the proper diagnosis is made it is best to give rest to the joint, apply a crepe bandage and take mild analgesics like acetaminophen for pain.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.