Blood clot in cough. Diagnosed with lung cancer. Advised aspiration cytology, MRI. Taking pause. Any advice?

My father 65 yrs old, he don't somke or any oher bad medical history. from last 2.5 months some blood cloat coming with cough 7-8 times in a day,there is no other proublem.We check with doctor at first he thought it's a T.B.but after CT scan and FNAC it's confrimed that it LC.
After we go to the specialist and he ask for 4-5 tips of test, Like CT guided Biopsy,Whole Body PET-Ct. All report attached. From PET CT report and Images doctor advice Aspiration Cytology of pleural fluid,But the technician not able to take the fluid from the area as the fluid is so little that they can't take it through niddle.I informed the same to Doctor and he said O K take a BRAIN MRI test and if the report is O k than contact with Cardiothoraic Surgeon for the opinion of operability.
Now I want to take a Second opinion from you regarding my father's case as from last 2.5 months We are going through test's and no medicine except Pause 500 (6 times in a day.) Is there any other way to save my father.Pls advice
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 7 hours later

I understand the difficulty you are going through. I am sorry to hear about your father's condition.

Since the aspiration cytology has confirmed that your father has lung cancer, we have to determine what type of cancer it is. That can be known from the sputum cytology test or the aspiration cytology test, which your father has already undergone. Secondly, it is necessary to determine if it is localised or has spread to other parts of the body for which PET Scan is the best option if it is available. As you say the pleural cavity has very less fluid to be aspirated there is no need to do it.

If pet scan gives the clue that it is only localised and there is no evidence of spread elsewhere, then surgery is the best option followed by radiotherapy. This, only an experienced cardiothoracic surgeon can decide. Otherwise, the option is radiation therapy.

If you can mail the pet scan, we can have a look at it and then can advise you what will be the best option of treatment for your dad.

I hope you have understood my view. I will be happy to answer your further query if any.

Dr. J. Ticku,