Blood clot filter, was in intensive care, acute care, itching in groin, sweating, thin pubic hair. Rash?

I was in intensive care and accute care due to a very bad car accident for 2 months. The first day they put in a blood clot filter through my groin, which I assume they shaved. I have had over the past 6 months since leaving the hospital a lot of itching in the groin and sweating and my pubic hair has grown back but very thin - you can see the skin under the hair with no problem. Would the lack of regrowth of pubic hair normally be related to rash I may have gotten in hospital in that area????
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The hair growth is definitely affected adversely by the presence of any skin infection or allergic rashes.

Post trauma, due to generalized weakness also the growth of hair might have reduced.

Good nutrition is a must for normal thick and healthy hair growth.

Whatever nutrition you have got these days has been diverted to repair your body damage. So, it is expected that the quality of your hair and nails must deteriorate until you recover completely.

The excessive itching that you are having may be due to fungal infection or allergic dermatitis or eczema.

A careful examination by a dermatologist is needed for proper diagnosis and treatment of the condition.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Blood clot filter, was in intensive care, acute care, itching in groin, sweating, thin pubic hair. Rash? 1 hour later
2 followup questions:

1)Would it be better to shave the area and start fresh with good nutrition, etc or just eat well and let existing thin areas fill in hopefully.

2)Is there an over the counter recommended product for the itching or do you still recommend seeing dermatologist specialist? The itching is a lot less now.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

1. You can wait for the normal hairs to grow instead of shaving the area. First you resume with a good high protein nutrition and then after 4-6 weeks you can shave the area for a healthy growth.

2. For itching, you can use OTC available antifungal ointments and steroid based antiseptic ointments. If there is no relief then you must see your dermatologist.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.