Blood chemistry,SGOT and SGPT levels elevated,cholesterol high

I have just gotten back my blood chemistries and my sgot is 111 and my sgpt is 240. Everything is within the normal range on my paperwork except my cholesterol is high. What could be causing the elevated sgot and sgpt levels?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 37 minutes later
Congratulations on getting a good blood report.
Few questions from my side:
(1) Are you taking any medicines? Do you drink Alcohol in excess?
(2) Did you go without water to drink before you gave blood for sample?
(3) What is the figure of S. Cholestrol? (Not related but for future reference)
Elevated Liver enzymes (SGOT and SGPT) upto three times normal are not very relevant. So elevated SGOT does not have much importance as normal value is 40. Upto 120, SGOT is not very important. SGPT is normal upto 56.
For both there is some variations among different pathological laboratories. So the limit may vary.
If you are in a dehydrated state, that is you have not taken enough water before giving blood sample, the levels would be artificially elevated.
Also if you are taking any medicines which damage the liver the levels would be elevated. Kindly inform me as it is not mentioned in the record you have posted.
Alcohol has very bad effect on liver. If you consume more alcohol you should also get Serum GGT done. S. GGT is a blood test for checking the level of Gamma Glutamyltransferase which increases specifically because of Alcohol damage.
Waiting for your follow-up.
Follow-up: Blood chemistry,SGOT and SGPT levels elevated,cholesterol high 44 hours later
I drink approximately 2-3 mixed drinks per week nothing that would be an excess. I have been drinking nothing but water for the last week prior to my lab.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 20 minutes later

Welcome back for your follow-up.

I am very pleased that you do not take much alcohol and take insignificant amounts.

Kindly get Ultrasonography of Liver done which will help ij knowing any structural abnormalities giving rise to above readings.

Also get the complete LFT ( Liver Function test ) done at a
different laboratory. Kindly post the two reports at the earliest.

Waiting for your reply,