Blood chemistry screen done. Dieting and taking supplements. Are the results to be concerned about?

just completed a blood chemistry screen. have question on results. bilirubin total 2.2. bilirubin direct 0.4. and lymphocytes @ 40.7. i have been dieting and taking supplements. need i be concerned??? all other fields were in normal range
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

As per your reports, your bilirubin and indirect bilirubin levels are raised. We find similar reports associated with malarial infection, hepatitis, hemolytic anemia, use of hepatotoxic drugs and biliary stricture.

It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition and narrowing the possibilities if you could answer some of these questions:

1) What are the symptoms that you are having for which you got these blood tests done?

2) Are you having any history of fever?

3) Are you taking any drugs or medicines?

4) Do you have a history of any hemolytic anemia?

5) What was your hemoglobin count?

6) Is there any history of alcohol intake?

It is best to get a complete liver function tests, (especially the enzymes alanine transaminase, aspartate transaminase, gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase, alkaline phosphatase), blood film examination (hemolysis, etc.) or evidence of infective hepatitis (e.g., hepatitis A, B, C, XXXXXXX E, etc.) done. If you have any of these test done, it might be helpful to upload them here using the upload feature provided.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Blood chemistry screen done. Dieting and taking supplements. Are the results to be concerned about? 43 hours later
my answers to your 6 questions...

1. it was an insurance requirement to fit into a particular plan at work

2. i havn't had a fever for years. i routinely have allergy fits when the temperature hovers in the low 30's for some reason. colder or warmer im just fine

3. my allergies were at work when this test was taken. I had been taking alka- seltzer plus severe allergy for a week prior. i didnt take it within 18 or so hours prior. also due to me dieting I had been taking dexatrim XXXXXXX as well

4. no. not to my knowledge

5. hemoglobin count was 15.8

6. alcohol intake would be considered light during that time. i had 1 beer approx 11 to 12 hours prior to the test
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

In view of the information that you have provided, I don't think that mildly raised bilirubin should be a cause of concern. I will suggest not to worry about the same. However you should consult your physician, in case you notice any symptoms of loss of appetite, fever, pain abdomen, yellow discoloration of eyes etc. Otherwise there is nothing to worry.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.
Follow-up: Blood chemistry screen done. Dieting and taking supplements. Are the results to be concerned about? 10 hours later
Thak you for your help
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Do write to us if you have any medical queries in the future. Our doctors are always there to help you out.

Kind regards.