Blood check showed sugar level 300. How to control?

Question
My father Aged 59, go his blood checkup two days back and that was saying 300 - sugar level, He is very active in daily life and does exercise(yoga early morning) daily for at least 20-30 minutes. Can you suggest the actions supposed to be taken to control sugar level
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. Two important things are diet and walking. Hes already doing exercise/yoga regularly. If possible let him take a walk daily. In diet reduce rice items, junk food , fried objects and sweets. Take sugarless coffee/tea. Take a lot of green leafy vegetables - sprouts with breakfast and salad with lunch and dinner. Start with metformin 500mg tablet once a day after food. Needless to say sweets have to be avoided.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Blood check showed sugar level 300. How to control? 48 minutes later
Will this be curable and not a big problem or is this a serious problem.

Can you please tell me what other food can he have in lunch and dinner.

His parents didn't had this problems, how else could it came. Please brief how to avoid this further.

Please do the needful.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 28 minutes later
It wont be curable but can be kept under control with diet,walk & exercise. Its a common problem & not serious at this stage.
He can take chapathi, roti, sprouts, boiled vegetables. If he wants rice then it has to be accompanied by lots of salad.
It can come without family history and its pathogenesis is too complicated to discuss here in this forum. I mean its not so simple to explain but its polygenic and enviromental factors and age play a role. It comes & if it comes it has to be treated -thats it. No avoiding its already come -it has to be controlled. Follow whats been said so far.
Hope this helps
Shivaptasad