Blood calcium came is 10.6 and blood protein is 8.6. Am I at the risks of hyperparathyroidism?

Question
I had a routine blood test two weeks ago. I'm a 27 year old male, no health issues at all, yet my blood calcium came in at 10.6 and my blood protein was 8.6. The doctor suggested I may have been dehydrated so he drew blood again last week. The doctor called today to say the calcium was now 10.1 and the protein was 8.4 and suggested I was fine and no further tests were needed.

As I read online about hyperparathyroidism and hypercalcemia though, I'm starting to get a little nervous that this may actually be a problem and something I need to get checked again. What should I do?

Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Although your serum total calcium is high, corrected calcium will be much lower. Serum calcium needs to be corrected for serum albumin levels which is normally around 4. Since your total protein is high, albumin will also be proportionately higher and hence your calcium value has to be corrected to albumin level of 4. Hyperpara will be associated with high corrected calcium, low phosphate, high serum PTH and sometimes typical radiological features.
You may need to be evaluated for high protein level. You can check your serum ionic calcium, phosphate and PTH levels to reassure yourself that every thing is normal.
I dont expect any abnormality in your serum total corrected calcium, ionic calcium, phosphate and PTH. There isnt anything to suggest hyperparathyroidism. So there is nothing to worry as yet. However there is nothing wrong in reassuring yourself by getting additional tests I have suggested.
Thanks,
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Blood calcium came is 10.6 and blood protein is 8.6. Am I at the risks of hyperparathyroidism? 51 minutes later
Thank you! Is dehydration the likely reason why the calcium and protein levels were higher on the first test?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Most probable reason was that dehydration was responsible hemoconcentration and high calcium and protein levels.
Shivaprasad