Blood and mucus drainage after removal of tonsils and adenoids, low grade fever, throat culture showed staph, hard of hearing. Any thoughts?

ENT Specialist
Question
My daughter age 11 had her tonsils and adenoid removed May 3, 2012. May 13th, she began having drainage down the back of her throat...blood mixed with mucus. We saw the surgeon Monday the 15th. Today the 20th she is still bleeding. Last night she passed a large clot of "old looking blood and mucus"...followed by bight red blood, The drainage still continues. Could this be an infection? Please note...she has been sick for 6 months. Her case has been uncommon and baffled many doctors. She began with low grade fevers in Nov. Dec. 2nd dig. with Staph by throat culture. Steroid given to clear ear infection. She is hard of hearing already. Her hearing has not been the same since this issue. Staph cleared...according to labs. She had Strep B XXXXXXX 13th. after that cleared...still not well....low grade fevers, body aches, head aches, swollen lymph node in neck, headaches etc. Saw Infectious disease Dr. consulted with other ID doc. XXXXXXX Doctor, Naturpath, ENT, Arthritis specialist. Many labs done for Lyme, EBV, CBC etc. Cronic Tonsillitis since Feb. Other docs thru out her Staph, strep and cronic tonsilitis.When her surgery was over the doctor said her tonsils were cryptic, with bacterial stones buried in them. And the adenoid was surprisingly VERY VERY large. She had no conjestion, no sleep apena etc. She has remained a medical mystery. On homebound schooling since Feb. Since the surgery the fevers have gone and the body aches seem to have gone also. However, the bleeding and mucus discharge are concerning. Her right ear continues to hurt off and she is very senstive to sound. Any thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 50 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Yes, it is unusual to get fresh bleeding and clots three weeks after an adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy. I am assuming that there is no anterior nasal bleed and that there are no other signs and symptoms such as an external swelling or tenderness in the neck or below the jaw, fever and so on.

2. First get an oral examination done by your local ENT Specialist. A Coagulogram must be done to check bleeding and clotting parameters. Get a nasal endoscopy done to check for bleeding area/s. A Neck USG (Ultrasound) may be required.

3. I would specifically be looking for left over adenoid tissue, redness, ulceration, crusts and mild infections.

4. Is there any chance of a foreign body?

5. The post nasal discharge of mucus is not so disturbing at present. It may just be the sinuses healing. A CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) may be required if the discharge does not reduce or stop soon.

6. Get her PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done. These tests will help diagnose her hearing loss.

7. Were her adenoid and tonsil tissue sent for histopathology examination after removal?

8. Further treatment will depend on the outcome of these examinations and investigations.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.