Blood added to milk by HIV person. Is there a risk of AIDS after drinking that milk?

Dec 2012

I was wondering, if someone put their blood in my (cow) milk and they said they had hiv/253657?iL=true" >aids, would I contract it after drinking it, this happened to me at a party where I was the sober driver and I was just drinking a cup of milk. I know this is a ridiculous question but it worries me.

Also, wouldn't you develop hiv first not just full blown aids? Again a weird question but just wanting to clarify.

Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Chances of contracting HIV through ingestion of blood in the mouth are quite slim but how ever possible. The chances are only there if you had any lesions or tiny wounds in your gut which could allow the virus pass through into the blood. Most of the virus, will get digested and pass out without causing any problems.
You will just have to do a HIV serology test now (to first of all confirm your own status as free), then repeat the test after 3 months just to be sure that you were not infected. Also you need to note that, the HIV virus, can not survive for more than 5 minutes in the open air, as it gets deactivated.
Well if you get infected, you just have the HIV and not the diseases. The diseases can only come up after several years of having the virus in your blood stream.
I suggest you stay calm and quit worrying. Just get to the hospital for proper counseling.

Hope that his helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah