Blocked up with dizziness. Mucus drip at the back of throat, regular nausea and sharpness on breath. Painful chest. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Question
For a number of years I have woken up every morning blocked up and with dizziness on standing up. Both tend to remain through the day, though lessen. I continually have mucus drip into back of my throat. My throat often feels thick upon eating. Regular nausea. Burning and sharpness on breath intake if I take an unnatural large intake breath. Below my rib cage a constant lightly reddish dotted kind of rash. Since Feb I have had a lot of chest congestion and painful chest issues - sharpness and general discomfort. I have had blood tests, chest X-Rays, ECG etc and all comes out fine. Do you have any thoughts? This is all becoming very dibilitating and makes me pretty unwell.
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chronic esophageal-reflux-disease/0000" >Acid Reflux and Sinusitis is a possibility

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These symptoms may be related to a chronic acid reflux and sinusitis.

2. You should discuss this with your physician and request investigations and medication for these two conditions that commonly co-exist.

3. A videolaryngoscopy, Sinus CT, Impedance Audiometry, Esophageal Manometry and an abdominal sonography will be required.

4. An 8 to 12 week trial with anti-reflux medication, with short term anti-allergic, mucolytic, decongestants and steam inhalation may be tried before further investigations.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Blocked up with dizziness. Mucus drip at the back of throat, regular nausea and sharpness on breath. Painful chest. What to do? 9 minutes later
Thanks.

What kind I do of a simple natute initially to try to address the sinuses?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Plain steam inhalation taken regularly two to four times a day for at least 15 minutes at a time is the easiest natural therapy for the sinusitis.

2. Adding medication as suggested above along with a steroid nasal spray will help treat the sinusitis more quickly than with steam inhalation alone.

Regards.

Follow-up: Blocked up with dizziness. Mucus drip at the back of throat, regular nausea and sharpness on breath. Painful chest. What to do? 13 hours later
Thanks again, this is all very helpful, I am going to speak to my GP again.

Can these issues have led over time to general aching and feeling like I have permanent flu? My arms and torso constantly ache as if I had a temperature/flu. It has been diagnosed that this is element is rheumatic, but is it more likely to simply be the issues you refer to?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, chronic infection and inflammation on the body may cause such symptoms.

2. A Rheumatologist may help you rule out or treat any rheumatic component of your symptoms.

Regards.