Blocked nose. Could the CPAP machine be the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I use a CPAP machine with a humidifier. For the last year I've been experiencing an extremely dry mouth at night that doesn't resolve itself during the day. I'm also waking up with a stopped up nose. Could it be the CPAP machine that I've been usisng for over three years?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The dryness of mouth and blocked nose are likely to be related to CPAP machine use.
To avoid this problem you can use a normal saline nasal saline drops at night before sleeping. Do check if your mask is fitting properly. A loose fitting mask can cause this dryness.
Sleeping with an open mouth can also cause this problem. You can use a chin strap to avoid this. Please do check and readjust your humidifier settings.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.