Blocked ear and nose due to DNS. Laser surgery recommended. Will there be any complications?

ENT Specialist
I often feel my nose is blocked. Once during day time and once during night time, I use Otrivin nosal spray and my blockage gets cleared.
a month back, I have felt that my right ear is blocked. ( I was able to hear properly but I had a sense that there is blockage). When I visted the specialist, he said I have DNS and reccomended laser surgery to permanentaly fix it. Attaching the same for your view.
I am kind a scrared will there be any side effect by doing that as I never went through any surgical procedure. Can I continue as I am doing now with out any surgery?
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the history and the image posted by you. Could you please let me know since how many days are you using the otrivin nasal spray? If you are using Otrivin nasal spray for more than five days, you will develop a condition called 'Rhinitis Medicamentosa' (rebound nasal block), wherein there will be nasal block even though there is no block inside the nose.

Laser surgery is not performed to correct the septal deviation. It is usually a dissection method which is performed to correct the septal deviation. Some doctors do perform turbinoplasty using laser. Turbinoplasty is a simple procedure to reduce the hypertrophied turbinate. Please do not fall prey for this, as the doctor will be charging you saying that he has used laser for the entire procedure which is absolutely false.

My advice to you is to try using a steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone or momentasone) once a day for 3-4 months and if you are not feeling better only then you can go for a septal correction.

Also, avoid sleeping under the fan or in front of the blower of air conditioner. Change the pillow cover every night before going to bed. Avoid smoking, using incense sticks and strong perfumes.

With these measures you will be definitely alright. Please revert back to me with the answer to the above question.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Blocked ear and nose due to DNS. Laser surgery recommended. Will there be any complications? 24 minutes later
Hello Dr,

I been using the Otrivin spray for 7-8 months, though I dont use it regularly. i use it only when the day i feel blockage. The blockage comes- 2-3 weeks continuously and goes off for a week or two. And then suddenly again the blockage occurs. I am not sure if I have developed rebound nasal block or not. but let me know what should i do now?

The Dr said, it would cost around Rs 57,000/- to perform the procedure and have to stay in a hospital for a day min.

I cant aviod sleeping under the fan as I am used for it . I keep my room clean.
I will change the pillow cover daily as you said.
I dont smoke or use intense stick. And i dont use perfume either.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back

Henceforth, please stop using the otrivin spray, instead use steroid nasal spray. Drink plenty of water, this will keep the nasal mucosa moist. As far as possible, avoid sleeping directly under the fan.

You can wait for few more months and see the results for yourself. If you are not feeling better only then you can get the surgery done from an apt ENT specialist.

I wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon