Bloating when out of regular schedule like travelling or attending functions. Advise?

Question
Hi, whenever I am out of my general schedule, my body bloats. Even if that is going on a trip or attending a function. I try and drink as much water as I generally do, maintain eating habits and all. But still, the bloating occurs. Please help. What should I do or Who should I consult for a detailed discussion.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Radhika 39 minutes later

You report that you develop body bloating whenever you travel or go on a trip. I do not feel this is related to any organic medical illness. Stress and anxiety are associated with digestion and bowel disturbance.

Normally when you travel it is advisable to drink water two or three times your normal intake .It is good you are following that.

To minimize bloating, I suggest you the following measures:

1. Don’t drink carbonated beverages. Acidic fruit juices will contribute to discomfort.
2. Avoid caffeine, it's dehydrating.
3. Avoid alcohol, it's dehydrating.
4. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Your body and feet will swell up during the flight.
5. Avoid greasy and salty food, always eat fresh and raw food.
6. Try to eat at regular timings, do not eat late.
7. You can have Probiotic products such as in yoghurt drinks, these are good for your stomach.

All these tips should be helpful to you. Consult a Gastroenterologist if your condition persists.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Bloating when out of regular schedule like travelling or attending functions. Advise? 17 hours later
Hi Doc,

Thanks for your revert. However, I am already taking care of almost all the stuff you mentioned here. Even then, its no help.

Please suggest further.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

If you have tried the above mentioned remedies and it has not been effective then you may try two or 3 teaspoons of XXXXXXX cidar Vinegar to eight - ounces glass of water once daily whenever you travel. This will help excessive bloating.

Also eating certain fruits like lemon, papaya, watermelon will help to prevent bloating.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Bloating when out of regular schedule like travelling or attending functions. Advise? 1 hour later
Sure. What time would that be? Morning/Night or Anytime? Empty stomach or doesn't matter?

I am told that vinegar causes osteoporosis in the long run. I am low on calcium anyway. Hence, Are there any alternates available?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Radhika 18 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up,

You can take it early morning before breakfast.

It does not cause osteoporosis, but prevents osteoporosis. XXXXXXX cider vinegar releases calcium and other minerals from the foods you eat so your body is better able to absorb and use them to strengthen bones.

Vinegar allegedly allows the body to absorb one-third more calcium from XXXXXXX vegetables than it would without the aid of vinegar. Hence you can try this.

Wish you good health.

Regard