Bloating in the stomach, pain under the rib cage. History of stomach ulcer. Chances of having ulcer?

Hello, I have this constant bloating and what feels like excercise aches in my stomach and in the centre of my stomach under the rib cage. ive had this now for aspproximately 3 years, it can often hurt when i touch the stomach. My concern is that my mum had an ulcer which was very large when she was young and im concerned i may have something simliar, although not sure. I weigh 14 stone 1 pound, 37 years of age, and am 5'8" tall. Can you help at all?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 19 hours later

Pain always needs some attributes to be considered (like location & any radiation, nature, tempo, relation with meals/defecation/activity, continious or intermitent and any changes in weight or appetite) to comment on it's origin.

Dull aching central abdominal pain can be due to
1) Duodenal or gastric ulcers - usually have some relation to meals and show some episodicity.
2) Pancreatitis - central boring type of pain with radiation to back.
3) Gall stone disease like cholecystitis - intermitent and more on the (R) side.
4) Colitis - Usually colicky pain and associated with bowel abnormalities.
5) Intestinal Dysmotility - dull ching, continious with may be some superadded colics.

You need to investigate further for peptic ulcer, as it is likely possibility in your case. Even stress can cause stomach upset/bloating.

I suggest you to consult Gastroenterologist for further evaluation. You may need to undergo certain tests like complete hemogram, stool examination, Ultrasound and upper GI endoscopy after clinical examination to confirm the cause.

Hope, this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.