Bloating after eating, back pain, sour taste in mouth, nausea. Diagnosed with IBS. Can this be hiatal hernia or pancreatitis?

Pediatrician
Question
I have a bloated uncomfortable stomach after eating. Also have backache on left side with sour taste in my mouth and nauseous at times! It's been going on for 2 weeks. I was diagnosed with ibs a few years ago. Could this be a hiatal hernia or pancreatitis??
I am now taking Tagamet once a day and it helps-but still get backache toward afternoon and evening. Can't wear a bra right now. Too much pressure.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 6 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

What you are describing may fit exactly for descriptions of Hiatus hernia and Pancreatitis, but there are much common issues that do present with similar complaints.

They are 1. Reflux without hernia 2. Hyperacidity. This spectrum may overlap with IBS (Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome).

In both cases, you may need a short phase of antacid therapy. There are better drugs than tegamet available for these issues, you may discuss about this with your doctor. Backache, though a sign of pancreatitis is a very late sign with above issues, that makes me call it to be a separate reason like posture and sleep related. Pancreatitis is best diagnosed by serum amylase levels.

If these symptoms persist beyond 2 weeks, most Gastroenterology specialists will advice a gastroscopy/reflux studies to address your concerns.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Bloating after eating, back pain, sour taste in mouth, nausea. Diagnosed with IBS. Can this be hiatal hernia or pancreatitis? 7 hours later
Could you explain how reflux and hyper acidity might overlap with irritable bowel syndrome?

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
Hello again Ms XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.

Irritable bowel syndrome as you may have observed in yourself, do have recurrent/ chronic abdominal pains, often with bowel disturbances like discomfort and bloating. These are the exact symptoms (except the constipation/loose motion issues) that are seen also due to hyperacidity, indigestion and reflux. The pains of hiatal hernia, reflux disease, pancreatitis, hyperacidity etc,. though have been described in classical ways, it need not be seen in each case.

Dyspepsia seen in hyperacidity is almost similar to bloating sensation what one may get with ibs. The only difference being, hyperacidity may be proven to some extent on scopy while ibs, the proof isnt easy. Though IBS is considered as psychological issue to some extent, a good number of cases do have reflux also.

Let me know if any further explanation/answer is desired by you.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Bloating after eating, back pain, sour taste in mouth, nausea. Diagnosed with IBS. Can this be hiatal hernia or pancreatitis? 6 hours later
Thank you! I feel better already. I went to my doctor today and she said she thinks it's acid reflux combines with ibs probably. She gave me oriole. To take for a week or so to calm it down. My bloodworm was all good and so were my triglycerides so she doesn't think it's pancreatitis. Will do XXXXXXX er bloodworm of I dont feel better in a week or two! Thanks for your help. I feel less anxious already which makes me feel good all over.

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 9 hours later
You are most welcome, Ms XXXXXXX I am happy that your worries are reduced and you have started feeling healthier with change of medicines. Oriole is a good drug, do take as advised by your specialist only.
Do let me know if you have any further queries any time in future.